Dr. Gobika Thiripuranathar is a Senior Lecturer and Head of the department of chemistry, Institute of Chemistry Ceylon Sri Lanka. She has over nine years of research expertise in the areas of inorganic chemistry, and natural products.
Dr. Gobika joined the Graduateship Program in Chemistry offered by the Institute of Chemistry Ceylon and graduated with first-class honors in 2006. She gained her Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry (New chemistry of 1,1′-bis(o-carborane)) from Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland in 2012 under the supervision of Professor A. J. Welch. After that, she joined the College of Chemical Sciences, the educational arm of Institute of Chemistry Ceylon as a full-time academic in June 2012 and took up the position of senior lecturer (grade II) in April 2014, and senior lecturer (grade I) in June 2018.
She currently serves as the reviewer for the journals; ACS Omega, Microscopy Research and Technique, Complementary medicine research, and Inorganic and Organometallic Polymer and Materials.
Her main area of expertise is biological assays, experimental synthesis, characterization of advanced nanoparticles with interesting functionalities, covering fundamental nanomaterials science, and applied nanocomposites development.
Awards and Achievements
1. Wijesinghe, U., Thiripuranathar, G., Iqbal, H., & Menaa, F. Biomimetic Synthesis, Characterization, and Evaluation of Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer, Photoluminescence, and Photocatalytic Activity of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles. Sustainability, 2021, 13(4), 2004.
2. Perera. K.M.K.G.; Kuruppu, K.A.S.S.; Chamara, A.M.R.; Thiripuranathar, G., Characterization of spherical Ag nanoparticles synthesized from the agricultural wastes of Garcinia mangostana and Nephelium lappaceum and their applications as a photo catalyzer and fluorescence quencher. SN Appl. Sci. 2, 1974 (2020).
3. Kuruppu, K.; Perera, K.; Chamara, A.; Thiripuranathar, G., Flower shaped ZnO—NPs; phytofabrication, photocatalytic, fluorescence quenching, and photoluminescence activities. Nano Express 2020, 1 (2), 020020.
4. Weerawardana, M.; Thiripuranathar, G.; Paranagama, P. A., Natural Antibrowning Agents against Polyphenol Oxidase Activity in Annona muricata and Musa acuminata. Journal of Chemistry 2020, 2020.
5. Menaa, F., Wijesinghe, P. A. U. I., Thiripuranathar, G., Uzair, B., Iqbal, H., Khan, B. A., & Menaa, B. Ecological and Industrial Implications of Dynamic Seaweed-Associated Microbiota Interactions. Marine Drugs 2020, 18(12), 641.
6. Chamara, A.; Thiripuranathar, G., Assessment of Haemostatic Activity of Medicinal Plants Using In Vitro Methods: A Concise Review. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy and BiologicalSciences 2020, 15 (1), 26-34.
PhD – Chemistry, Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh (2011).
Graduateship in Chemistry – College of Chemical Sciences, Institute of Chemistry Ceylon